Preparation Time: Approximately 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: Approximately 1Hour and 15 Minutes
Ready in: 1 Hour and 45 Minutes
Servings: – 10
- Soy sauce – ¼ cup.
- Asian sesame oil – 3 tablespoons.
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons.
- Rice wine vinegar – 2 tablespoons.
- Creamy peanut butter – 2 tablespoons.
- Cayenne pepper – 1/8 teaspoon.
- Freshly grated ginger – 1 tablespoon.
- Fresh garlic, grated – 1 tablespoon.
- Minced Serrano chili peppers – 1.
- Spelt kernels – 1 cup.
- Water – 6 cups.
- Kosher salt – ½ teaspoon.
- Water – 1 quart.
- Salt – ½ teaspoon.
- Onion peeled properly and cut into small chunks – 1.
- Boneless and skinless chicken breast halves – 4.
- Sliced red bell pepper – 1.
- Thinly sliced green onions – 1 bunch.
- Fresh parsley, coarsely chopped – ¼ of a cup.
- Cilantro, coarsely chopped – ¼ of a cup.
- Thinly sliced carrots – 3.
- Red cabbage, thinly sliced – 2 cups.
- In a small sized bowl, whisk together sesame oil, vinegar, soy sauce, olive oil, cayenne pepper, Serrano, peanut butter and ginger. Mix well and keep aside.
- Next, toast the spelt kernels in a dry skillet on a medium to high heat till the kernels turn a nice shade of brown and some of them pop up. Remove the kernels from the skillet and place on a mesh strainer. Rinse them well with very cold water. Drain afterwards.
- Boil 6 cups of water in a large sized saucepan. Add half a teaspoon of kosher salt to this and keep stirring in spelt kernels. Return the water to a boil and reduce the heat to a lower level. Simmer it for about an hour till tender. Drain the water properly and keep aside.
- Take a skillet and fill it with half a teaspoon of salt, onion and 1 quart water while the spelt simmers. Allow this to come to a boil over very high heat. Add the chicken breasts to this and reduce the heat to a medium or low level. Cover the skillet and simmer till the chicken is well cooked throughout, for approximately 15 minutes. Remove the chicken breasts from the prepared liquid and keep aside to cool.
- Once the chicken has cooled off, and can be easily handled, shred it into bite sized chunks and place each chunk in a large bowl. Stir in the bell pepper, spelt, parsley, carrots, cilantro, green onions and the cabbage. Pour the sauce all over the salad and stir to combine it well.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!